Friday, January 24, 2014

Book Beginnings and The Friday 56 #3



Hey Guys! Join me every Friday for some bookish fun! I'll be sharing Book Beginnings, hosted by Rose City Readers and for double the fun, The Friday 56, hosted by Freda's Voice.

Yay!! Two memes in
one! 
HERE WE GO!!


Book Beginnings on Friday:

share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Don't forget to include the title of the book and the author's name.

"The Golem's life began in the hold of a steamship. The year was 1899; the ship was the Baltika, crossing from Danzig to New York. The Golem's master, a man named Otto Rotfeld, had smuggled her aboard in a crate and hidden her among the luggage."

By: Helene Wecker
Published: April 23rd, 2013

The Golem and the Jinni is a beautiful book about two creatures who end up in New York that have to learn how to survive a world they are completely unfamiliar with. They're both on a journey to find themselves. And maybe by chance meeting they will be able to help each other......

My Thoughts:  Well if that doesn't pull you in right there, then I don't know what will.....
Just from reading that opening paragraph, I was completely sucked in. Captivated and absorbed! I wanted to know more, instantly. I had to know what this Golem was and how it's life begun!!
• currently I am still reading this book and honestly, It has not disappointed! I am still as captivated with the story as I was from the very beginning!!


The Friday 56:
Grab a book, any book, and turn to page 56 or 56% on ebooks. Share a sentence (or more) that left an impression or that stood out. 

"Body conscious yet humiliated. Buoyant but crippled. The Queen Supreme is the most beautiful anything I've ever seen so I just vogue there to watch from the doorway."

" Brandy is so attractive you could chop her head off and put it on blue velvet in the window at Tiffany's and somebody would buy it for a million dollars."

"Brandy Alexander looks her Burning Blueberry eyes at me in the doorway and says, "Posing girl, you are so God awful ugly. Did you let an elephant sit on your face or what?"'

"Brandy's voice, I barely hear what she says. At that instant, I just adore Brandy so much. Everything about her feels as good as being beautiful and looking in a mirror. Brandy is my instant royal family. My only everything to live for."

By: Chuck Palahniuk
Published: Sept. 17th 1999


So I realize that I just shared pretty much all of page 57. YEA! 57!!! The reason I did this is because page 56 doesn't have anything exciting on it! It's all on the next page, page 57! So I broke the rules a little bit today, but you know what?! There's nothing wrong with breaking the rules sometimes, especially when there's no harm done. Plus it's FRIDAY Y'ALL!!!

Invisible Monsters is one of my top 10 favorite books. It is eccentric and wild, crude with some sophisticated funk! This was my first book by Chuck P. that I've read and certainly not my last! He is the master at "mind f**king"!
This book is about a fashion model who is disfigured from a horrendous "accident", leaving her hideous and incapable of speech. After being abandoned by fame, she meets Queen Supreme, Brandy Alexander, who shows her how to survive in such a bitter world.
This book was intense and vulgar but absolutely fun, twisted and surprising!
If your not one for vile language, improper relations, drugs, and whatever corrupt things in this world, then this book is not for you! LOL!! 

Hopefully you guys enjoyed today's bookish memes and I'd love to hear what you guys think and what Your Book Beginnings and Friday 56 are!!
Have a fantastic Weekend and
Happy Reading Y'all!!!
xoxo


3 comments:

  1. I definitely want to read the first book, but want to read some reviews on the latter first.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really enjoying The Golem and the Jinni! It's about Chava a girl Golem and Ahmad a Jinni and their life in a new world! It's such a magical story.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like your taste in books is as diverse as mine. Both of the books you featured sound interesting, but The Golem and the Jinni appeals to me more than the other one. Thanks for sharing excerpts.
    Here's the link to my Friday post: PICTURING PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy receiving, reading and replying to all comments. I truly do appreciate each and every one of you who take the time and comment on my blog. Sharing your thoughts or concerns are important to me and I promise I will reply back to you as soon as I can.